Obligation to Pay Zakah
Zakah is the third pillar of Islam. It’s important is such that the Quran refers to Zakah in 82 separate verses and has associated Zakah immediately after Salah on 32 occasions.
…And Allah said, “I am with you. If you establish prayer and give zakah… (Al-Maidah 12)
And give the relative his right, and [also] the poor and the traveler, and do not spend wastefully. (Al-Isra’ 26)
‘If someone is given wealth by Allah but does not pay its Zakah, that wealth will appear to him on the Day of Judgement in the form of a bald serpent with 2 horns, encircling him and squeezing him all day, then holding him by the lips and telling him, “I am your wealth, the treasure which you hoarded”’. (Bukhari & Muslim)
And establish prayer and give zakah and bow with those who bow [in worship and obedience]. (Al-Baqarah 43)
And He it is who causes gardens to grow, [both] trellised and untrellised, and palm trees and crops of different [kinds of] food and olives and pomegranates, similar and dissimilar. Eat of [each of] its fruit when it yields and give its due [zakah] on the day of its harvest. And be not excessive. Indeed, He does not like those who commit excess (Al-An-am 141)
The example of those who spend their wealth in the way of Allah is like a seed [of grain] which grows seven spikes; in each spike is a hundred grains. And Allah multiplies [His reward] for whom He wills. And Allah is all-Encompassing and Knowing. (Al-Baqarah 261)
Home and Cars.
Businesses, Shares and Pensions
- Paying zakat on stock and business merchandise is obligatory. If you have shares in company, you must pay zakat based on the current value of the shares.
- Its strongly recommend you obtain specialist advise on calculating the amount of zakat due to businesses you own or run.
- Before retirement, an individual’s pension is not subject to zakat if the payment made to pension policy is deducted from the salary at source, without passing into the hands of individual.
- The pension an individual receives after retirement is liable for zakat provided they are sahib-un-nisab.
- The livestocks are zakatable when the owners have fulfilled the conditions for nisab and haul
- Zakatable livestocks are sheeps, cows, buffaloes, and camels
- These livestocks must be healthy, not criple and must not be used to work in the field or carry the goods.
- Islamic Relief, Zakat, http://www.islamic relief.org.uk/Zakat_ul_Fitr.aspx
- Fiqh Zakat, Dr. Yusuf Qardhowi
By: Murniati Mukhlisin @ Mu Kim Ni
This talk was delivered at As-Syifa Usrah @ Birmingham
Chaplancy Hall, University of Birmingham, 22 July 2012/2 Ramadhan 1433H
Reposted from sakinafinance.wordpress.com